Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

News Box

Read the Rules!

General Forum Rules
Recent Updates

Welcome to the Let's Play Sanctuary!

Welcome to Lets Play Sanctuary. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing the forum as a guest. If you join the forum, you can be part of a friendly and welcoming community of Let's Players and meet new people. You will also be able to post around the forum, interact with other members and enjoy all the features of the forum that are available to you.

If you're joining our community for the first time, please be sure to look over the rules. They're there in place to help you learn how the forum works and give you tips on posting. Otherwise, feel free to get involved in the many discussions we have on the forum, and get to know your fellow Let's Players!

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Gaming Terms That Annoy You
Topic Started: Feb 8 2018, 06:56 PM (170 Views)
Maser
Member Avatar

Let's face it, us gamers have pretty much developed our own language that only other gamers understand. Among that language are some terms that are annoying sounding. Share the terms in this thread that annoy you and please let's keep things civil and not ridicule other LPS members who happen to use terms that annoy you. I'll kick things off!

First off, is when shoot em up/bullet hell games are called "shmups". Second off, is when 2D Metroid style platforming games are called "metroidvania".
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Tom Badguy
Member Avatar

I think Metroidvania is awesome. Two great game series. I guess there is no real gaming terminology that annoys me, it's when this new day slang gets thrown in with gaming vids/streams. Like "thicc" is so flippin stupid, I'm so sick of hearing this word and it annoys me more that it's not spelled correctly.

CaptainBarnaby198
Member Avatar
Formerly known as GamesN'Soda

I've never had a problem with the Metroidvania term. I am getting a little tired of "souls-like" when a game is referred to as "hard" or "masochistic"

Also it may not be quite the same thing but the term "JRPG" seems to get blood boiling so much nowadays. I've seen so many arguments regarding what a "true" JRPG is.

GreatTreeJam
Member Avatar
The tough critic

lol...we actually have a !thicc command on Discord. I might have to sound "Careless Whisper" over the Discord server one of these days. ;)

The JRPG discussion is actually something that has interested me for a while. There are folks out there who believe many JRPGs are not really role-playing games. Thus, it can lead to heated discussions. I personally defer to C.J. Carella's definition of an RPG in his manual for the tabletop game "Witchcraft" (page 16), as that clearly states what an RPG is.

Personally, there aren't many types of gaming lingo that annoy me. I enjoy being a meme-lord and poking fun at the majority of gamers and gaming memes.

Tom Badguy
Member Avatar

CaptainBarnaby198
Feb 9 2018, 02:15 AM
I am getting a little tired of "souls-like" when a game is referred to as "hard" or "masochistic"
I don't like comparisons to Dark Souls either, like, there are way harder games out there than Dark Souls, but you're not considered "a good, intelligent, skillful gamer" if you don't play Dark Souls. I'm sick of the idea of Dark Souls players being above normal gamers. Go play Ninja Gaiden on the NES and see how long you'll play before you give up and go back to an easier game like Dark Souls.

Maser
Member Avatar

Tom Badguy
Feb 13 2018, 04:08 PM
Go play Ninja Gaiden on the NES and see how long you'll play before you give up and go back to an easier game like Dark Souls.

The original Ninja Gaiden for the NES is a bad example to use because like Dark Souls and pretty much every other modern game, there's no game over and you can keep playing until you win. Ninja Gaiden 3 for the NES would be a better example because that game actually does have a game over and makes you start all over again. Another good example is Battletoads for the NES.
Edited by Maser, Feb 14 2018, 04:57 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Community Banter · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find more great themes at the IFSZ