Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

News Box

Read the Rules!

General Forum Rules
Recent Updates

ADVERTISING IS GONE.

Welcome to the Let's Play Sanctuary!

Welcome to Lets Play Sanctuary. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing the forum as a guest. If you join the forum, you can be part of a friendly and welcoming community of Let's Players and meet new people. You will also be able to post around the forum, interact with other members and enjoy all the features of the forum that are available to you.

If you're joining our community for the first time, please be sure to look over the rules. They're there in place to help you learn how the forum works and give you tips on posting. Otherwise, feel free to get involved in the many discussions we have on the forum, and get to know your fellow Let's Players!

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
How to build (or find) an audience for your channel?
Topic Started: Jun 30 2017, 12:19 AM (639 Views)
Putz327
Member Avatar

Hey folks,
I'm very much against clickbait on LPs so when I'm tagging my LPs on youtube, I intentionally keep every tag relating to that particular game. But I'm wondering, outside of twitter, and tumblr, is there another place to showcase my LPs to try and build an audience? I do share some of them on specific facebook groups. I know patience is key, and I have been... you don't get an audience overnight, but I have almost a hundred videos, I have 13 subscribers (only a handful are active, if that many) and my videos break maybe 5 views total. I've been recording and uploading since March of 2016, granted I did take a long break.... but I'm having a hard time mustering up self-encouragement to record when its not reaching anybody.

Pardon if it sounds like I'm whining, I'm not, just a little frustrated is all. Any tips?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

FEZeldalord12345
Member Avatar

If you ask me, the best way to get other people to get interested in your videos is to find communities that you're certain would enjoy your videos. Of course, you can't just post your videos and expect people to watch them. You need to get involved with the community, make some friends, and then they'll be more willing to watch your content.

Something that's worth keeping in mind is, the way I see it, watching a Let's Play is a commitment. Depending on how long the game is, the amount of time a person can spend watching your videos can be a very significant amount of their time. A lot of people aren't willing to go out of their way to watch an entire series like that, especially if they don't even know who the person is.

Lastly, if you're having trouble connecting to people, then making videos with the goal of others watching probably isn't the best idea. I make my videos because I like not only to show off my knowledge, but to also vocalize my opinion. Doing so helps me think more about the game itself, and whether it's better, or worse, than I initially thought. But in the end, I have fun doing it, whether people watch it or not.

Putz327
Member Avatar

Oh don't get me wrong, I have a lot of fun recording and uploading, I'm not doing that just for the sake of views. I took your advice, I looked up some facebook groups for LPers and I'm going to do my best to stay active with them. I'm just expressing that some times I feel like uh "what's the point?" the day after my uploads and notice that nothing is happening. Its just a little discouraging ya know? Games aren't free, neither is time really. One of the reasons essentially I started watching LPs was because either I couldn't afford (and knew I wouldn't in the immediate future) certain BIG games and my machine couldn't run them. When I started recording I realized how much fun it was to attempt to share that game experience with others.
Edited by Putz327, Jun 30 2017, 12:58 PM.

CaptainBarnaby198
Member Avatar
Formerly known as GamesN'Soda

Ultimately if you're doing this for views/money/fame it it's highly likely you will end up disappointed. As FEZ said it's a really good idea to try and get involved in other communities so that people see that little bit of your personality which will make them want to view your videos. That has the potential of getting you a subscriber that actually sticks around.

Also remember that these things take time. There are several people I know that had nearly entire LPs without any views until they started connecting with communities. It's always more about the connection rather than being another let's player on the internet. Because frankly there are so many other LPers out there that you have to reach out and make sure people know who you are and your humor, how you act ect. Because at the end of the day if you get a few views and maybe a sub from people randomly, those people may end up jumping ship after a while (And a lot tend to). But if you make friends, do collaborations, help other people out and so forth you will not only be building a viewerbase, but a viewerbase that sticks around.

Putz327
Member Avatar

As I said previously, I am NOT doing it only for views. I really do enjoy recording/uploading, etc, all I am saying is that it can be discouraging when there's no activity. I have joined some groups and will be communicating with people there, and hopefully some day soon collaborating with others.

athrun_talan
Member Avatar
Cornish Geek Extraordinaire
This is a tough one to answer, but I think FEZ and CaptainBarnaby have hit the nail on the head pretty well - getting involved in other communities and showing off your personality is a good start. Ultimately you want someone to come and view your Alan Wake LP over, say, the 80 others out there. Making friends or becoming well known in a few different societies is a good way to go.

If you're using mods for a particular game, another possibility is to see if you can get in touch with the mod's creator. I did this for my Unreal LP, using some high res skins. I got in touch with the guy who created them to thank him (I was already adding a link in my description to where they could be found), and he offered to add one of the videos to his mod page, so people could see his work in action. I didn't get many subscribers from it (maybe one or two), but it drew a lot of traffic to the channel - that video has around 500 views, with the next closest being around 80.

It can definitely be discouraging when you see your videos aren't getting any views, or viewers aren't sticking around for long, but the more you can draw traffic to your page, the more likely you are to find some new subscribers.

BreakingKode
Member Avatar

Have to say, I'm kind of in the same bind as Putz327. I have a few close-knit friends but nothing outside of them, and to be honest I've never really felt like I wanted to get involved in other communities because it seems like a chore, precisely what I don't want when it comes to my channel. I mean, I... sort of want to go public, but I really only do this sort of thing to make my friends laugh and have a good time, and if that becomes a hard task then I won't feel like doing that anymore.

Wildfiremicro
Member Avatar

I am stuck in a 12 subscriber hole too
Itts extremely irritating and i am wondering what the point is
Edited by Wildfiremicro, Jul 16 2017, 01:18 PM.

Stantheslav

I think that much of that is random and sometimes it happens for somebody and sometimes it doesn't.

With that said I THINK and it's only my opinion that if you doing something and it's not giving you the results you want, the most reasonable thing to do is to mix some things up... change something. Maybe it's that you are not communicating with your audience, maybe you're looking in the wrong places for an audience, or maybe you have to change your style a little bit. I'm not saying that you are doing something wrong, but I'm just saying that sometimes we need to see our content not through our eyes but through the eyes of people that we are making it for.

Look for some feedback, let people tell you what they really think and then adjust.

And be patient! This is a grind!

mcoorlim
Member Avatar

I write books, produce podcasts, make games, and do LPs, and the secret to marketing all of it is the same: Be cool. Be someone people want to get to know. Be useful. Join communities, provide useful information, be clever, be friendly, make friends. Become a face. A known person. Throw links down to your stuff down in your sig or on your profile page. Don't plug yourself, just have the information available if someone appreciates what you're about and they want to check it out.

That's it, man.

The key is:

1. Identifying a community to join.
2. Becoming a regular
3. Being cool. Becoming liked.

Is this forum an example of what I'm talking about? Not really. I'm just starting out as a LPer, so I really don't have enough to contribute to be really helpful, so I don't post very often. I don't expect anyone to check out my books or whatever in the sig below. I'm here to learn, mostly. But hey, if you want to? Sure, I'll make it as easy as I can for you!

But see, it's the best kind of marketing because it's not fake. You're not "pretending" to be a useful member of the community, you actually become part of it. And it does take an investment of your time and attention.

So you want to find a community of people who check out LP videos of the kind you produce, but not necessarily LP-focused. What does that lead you to?
Edited by mcoorlim, Aug 28 2017, 02:48 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Let's Play & Live Stream Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find more great themes at the IFSZ