Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

News Box

Read the Rules!

General Forum Rules
Recent Updates

ADVERTISING IS GONE.

Welcome to the Let's Play Sanctuary!

Welcome to Lets Play Sanctuary. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing the forum as a guest. If you join the forum, you can be part of a friendly and welcoming community of Let's Players and meet new people. You will also be able to post around the forum, interact with other members and enjoy all the features of the forum that are available to you.

If you're joining our community for the first time, please be sure to look over the rules. They're there in place to help you learn how the forum works and give you tips on posting. Otherwise, feel free to get involved in the many discussions we have on the forum, and get to know your fellow Let's Players!

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
I use OBS and my computer is awful; how do I get a proper recording?
Topic Started: May 16 2017, 01:05 PM (444 Views)
GravitySloth
Member Avatar
Learning every day
So when I play games, they run smoothly, but then I go to edit the footage (recorded in Open Broadcaster Software) and I see this malarkey. Will recording at a lower FPS help? I'd rather have a smooth 15FPS than a half second of 30FPS followed by three seconds of lag. My computer has super bad dedicated VRAM (128MB) for what that's worth. Is there anything else I should try?
Edited by GravitySloth, May 16 2017, 01:06 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Maser
Member Avatar

Try lowering the bit rate.

GravitySloth
Member Avatar
Learning every day
Cheers, I'll let you know how that goes

athrun_talan
Member Avatar
Cornish Geek Extraordinaire
I'm not at home at the moment, but I'll take a look at my own settings and let you know how they look Gravity Sloth, it might help out a bit.

A discreet graphics card would probably help out as well - at the moment I'm guessing you've got it set up as Software encoding, which I've found even on my machine causes OBS to lag like a 56k modem (some of my Metroid footage had to be rerecorded because it was dropping to like 15 fps). Changing it to hardware encoding fixed the issue, but you would likely need a discreet card to try that out.

Putz327
Member Avatar

I never had much luck with OBS, especially with older games that can't be run in windowed mode. Not knocking the software or anything!
I used to use Bandicam's free software, but the recordings were kinda grainy and there was a watermark at the top. Through the help of my parents (because I am extremely poor) I got Action! recording software, it records very nicely from my experiences with it, but to each their own. Hope you find answers!

(Just subbed to you by the way :) )

GravitySloth
Member Avatar
Learning every day
Putz327
May 22 2017, 08:28 PM
I never had much luck with OBS, especially with older games that can't be run in windowed mode. Not knocking the software or anything!
I used to use Bandicam's free software, but the recordings were kinda grainy and there was a watermark at the top. Through the help of my parents (because I am extremely poor) I got Action! recording software, it records very nicely from my experiences with it, but to each their own. Hope you find answers!

Thank you for your feedback, and thanks for checking out the channel and subbing! I'm pretty new so I hope asking this isn't a faux paus, but how much did Action! run you? Do you feel like it was worth it?
athrun_talan
May 17 2017, 02:47 AM
I'm not at home at the moment, but I'll take a look at my own settings and let you know how they look Gravity Sloth, it might help out a bit.

A discreet graphics card would probably help out as well - at the moment I'm guessing you've got it set up as Software encoding, which I've found even on my machine causes OBS to lag like a 56k modem (some of my Metroid footage had to be rerecorded because it was dropping to like 15 fps). Changing it to hardware encoding fixed the issue, but you would likely need a discreet card to try that out.
Good thoughts; unfortunately, I'm on a Lenovo scraptop with a bad integrated chip, so hardware encoding isn't an option :c
Edited by GravitySloth, May 23 2017, 02:21 PM.

Putz327
Member Avatar

GravitySloth
May 23 2017, 02:20 PM
Putz327
May 22 2017, 08:28 PM

Thank you for your feedback, and thanks for checking out the channel and subbing! I'm pretty new so I hope asking this isn't a faux paus, but how much did Action! run you? Do you feel like it was worth it?
athrun_talan
May 17 2017, 02:47 AM

Good thoughts; unfortunately, I'm on a Lenovo scraptop with a bad integrated chip, so hardware encoding isn't an option :c
Action! ran about $30, and it is a lifetime license. Personally, I really like it, but I am also pretty new to the recording stuff as well. I felt like it was worth it for the price, versus the monthly price tag for Xsplit and I believe Bandicam was around the same price as Action! but I thought the recording of the latter was superior to Bandicam (just didn't care for the grain).

(Hope it wasn't against the rules to show the price, mods I apologize if it is).

Psychometric
Member Avatar
雲の霊
I just recently started using OBS to record and I was having issues like this at first as well. Everything seemed fine while recording but when I played the recordings back, certain parts were reducing the framerate considerably.

I fixed it by going to settings, output settings, recording settings, and going to the advanced settings part. I set Rate Control to CRF, keyframe interval to 2, CPU usage preset to ultrafast, and (this seems to be the important part) CRF to 25. You might want to play with the number there, I did a few test runs with lower numbers and it was choppy, but at 25 it's been fine for everything. Your mileage may vary. I am not going to pretend I have any idea what any of this means, only that it worked for me.

Disclaimer: This will also likely result in much higher file sizes. I went from a typical half hour or so video on the default settings being a few hundred MB, to videos generally being 3, 4 or 5 GB in size. Just in case that is something that matters to you.

Obviously, your system specs will have an impact on how effective this is. I'm just sharing this as my system isn't particularly powerful and I had the same issue, and this has fixed it on my videos.
Edited by Psychometric, Jul 8 2017, 06:27 PM.

Hideousgamer
Member Avatar

Psychometric
Jul 8 2017, 06:26 PM
I just recently started using OBS to record and I was having issues like this at first as well. Everything seemed fine while recording but when I played the recordings back, certain parts were reducing the framerate considerably.

I fixed it by going to settings, output settings, recording settings, and going to the advanced settings part. I set Rate Control to CRF, keyframe interval to 2, CPU usage preset to ultrafast, and (this seems to be the important part) CRF to 25. You might want to play with the number there, I did a few test runs with lower numbers and it was choppy, but at 25 it's been fine for everything. Your mileage may vary. I am not going to pretend I have any idea what any of this means, only that it worked for me.

Disclaimer: This will also likely result in much higher file sizes. I went from a typical half hour or so video on the default settings being a few hundred MB, to videos generally being 3, 4 or 5 GB in size. Just in case that is something that matters to you.

Obviously, your system specs will have an impact on how effective this is. I'm just sharing this as my system isn't particularly powerful and I had the same issue, and this has fixed it on my videos.
To get into the nuts and bolts of this to make things easier for all if you're using a laptop ( unless it is super high-end laptop. ) You need to have CPU Usage Preset Ultrafast reason for this is you want your GPU to do as much of the work you can. To give some real world performance here my CPU I7-5820k what was at one time one of highest end CPU you could have; can only do veryfast preset. From what I read about CBR and CRF; (Because of Psychometric post) is that CBR you pick a bitrate and the video runs at that bitrate nothing more nothing less. While CRF is a bit more in depth CRF you set the quality of the video to lower the number the better the quality of said video. Also what CRF does takes into account movement of the video so it can use the right bitrate for that part. In other words, low movement in the first 5 minutes of a video may have a bitrate at 15,000 kbps or 15 MBPS. Once the movement goes up CRF will up the bitrate to meet the needs of the encoder. Based on this I would say for low-end PCs CRF may be the best way to go also the sweet spot for CRF with the x264 encoder is 23.
Edited by Hideousgamer, Jul 8 2017, 11:47 PM.

Xelderik
Member Avatar

Hey GravitySloth.

You could try using FFSplit I'm not sure it would improve your recording but it might work for you it's worth a try. Back when I used to use a Laptop I used FFSplit and it seemed to do me justice. It's a lot like XSplit but free, you can also stream from it like OBS. These days though I use Fraps, but that is very high usage and the file sizes are mega, for an hours footage the file size can be around 128 GB.

I hope you solve your problem. I found that just trying different settings and messing around with different software usually helps, so give FFSplit ago and see if that helps at all :)

I'm not a pro on this kind of stuff, but I hope it helps.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Tech Corner · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find more great themes at the IFSZ