Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

News Box

Read the Rules!

General Forum Rules
Recent Updates

Welcome to the Let's Play Sanctuary!

Welcome to Lets Play Sanctuary. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing the forum as a guest. If you join the forum, you can be part of a friendly and welcoming community of Let's Players and meet new people. You will also be able to post around the forum, interact with other members and enjoy all the features of the forum that are available to you.

If you're joining our community for the first time, please be sure to look over the rules. They're there in place to help you learn how the forum works and give you tips on posting. Otherwise, feel free to get involved in the many discussions we have on the forum, and get to know your fellow Let's Players!

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Feedback on first two videos
Topic Started: May 14 2017, 03:16 AM (81 Views)
mitzybear
Member Avatar

I have two videos(same LP) that I would like some advice/criticism on. what I am doing wrong, what I am doing right, etc. I know it isn't normally courteous to have two videos but they are my only two and my first ones ever. I was able to get some feedback from my fiance between the first and second so I improved a few things but she doesn't watch LPs so there was only so much she could do, plus she is a little biased.

here are the videos:
part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxGmd_fGVrE
part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZKRTMtG4Bw

Thank you ahead of time.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

GreatTreeJam
Member Avatar
The tough critic

Hello Austin,

Would you mind elaborating more on what we can help you with? Is there something specific about your commentary you need help with? Do you have a question about how to edit your videos to make them look better? Do you want focused feedback on some editing technique you might be using?

- GTJ

mitzybear
Member Avatar

Yea sorry, I realized I was vague about what I needed help with I just have no idea what I'm doing right now. I guess a few things I would like help with would be
1) should I skip the story since this playthrough is about a challenge and not really the story.
2) was adding in tiny gag clips/audio good.
3) Was the commentary good/interesting
4) was the game-to-voice audio better in the second video

athrun_talan
Member Avatar
Cornish Geek Extraordinaire
Hey Austin. Hope you don't mind me chipping in here!

1) I would be leave the cutscenes in, but avoid talking over them. That's personal preference mind you, you could go down the MST3k route if you're wanting to take the piss out of them and add to the funny.

2) The gag clips aren't bad (the inflatable arm man gag made me laugh), and I think keeping them few and far between means they aren't too distracting. Not too often though!

3) The commentary was good, and part 2 was a massive improvement on the first in audio quality. You can still hear a lot of background noise in part 2 though (a good example would be about 7 minutes in, not sure what that sound was. Another is around 23:20 when you're fighting Tros). You know what you're doing with the game and it's mechanics and explain it well, which made it interesting. I'd say maybe speed up or cut out the random battles for pacing purposes - show the first time you encounter an enemy to properly demo them, then avoid showing the random battles after that. It requires a lot more editing, but I think it keeps a better flow for the video as a whole.

4) Much. I mentioned before about there still being some background noise, but I can more clearly hear the commentary over the video in this one.

I always called him Tie-dus, but it's a bit like the Aeris/Aerith argument, I think. On an unrelated note, just watching those two parts make me want to go and play the game again. Might have to pick up the remakes for the Vita.

mitzybear
Member Avatar

Thank you for the feedback athrun_talan.
On the subject of random battles, since this is a tidus only run I want to show one instance of every battle type(if I get all of them) and I have two ways to handle this
1) show battles and explain them and skip repeats
2) do a montage as I enter each area
which do you think would be better?
the background noise is my pet bunnies digging in their cages, I'll have to move them next time I record. I'm just so used to the noise I guess I didn't pay attention to it in the video, sorry. Thank you for pointing that out though I try to avoid excess sounds/noise not related to the game. I can't tell you how many times I have stopped an LP to check skype only to find out it was the video...
also, as of part 3 I now record audio and video separate instead of all in one....so much easier that way. as for the gag clips, I'm glad the inflatable arm man made you laugh, I giggled like a child when I thought of it. I planned on trying for 1 gag per video but you are right, I don't want to do it too often or make it seem forced.

Thank you again for the feedback and for the time you spent watching my videos.
Edited by mitzybear, May 17 2017, 06:25 AM.

athrun_talan
Member Avatar
Hmm, I think probably the first one would be a good bet - for me it would feel more organic, as you're introducing things as you come across them, rather than introducing too much in one go.

Heh, love it! What are your bunnies names?

I've never much gotten into recording the video and audio separately, but it'll be interesting to see how it'll work for your own Let's Play. I'm looking forward to seeing the difference :)

Blattymeow
Member Avatar

Hey,

Congrats on your first entry into LP land.

I watched most of Part 1, but wanted to just give some feedback so you know people are here! I'll watch part 2 and end of 1 at another time.

If you are going to do a challenge run then get rid of cutscenes. I know it's strange to chop up FFX like that but you need to get used to the format from the onset or else you'll face internal struggles of what should/should not be cut out. Otherwise, you will obligated to talk during cutscenes which you can only do so much and it will only empty your gusto for when talking really matters (explaining mechanics, going through the challenge run).

For instance, I know you said to include the starting cutscenes because it features Tidus but who cares? It's 10+ minutes of nothing to do with a challenge run. I think people are intelligent enough to realize that watching this for a full fledged LP would be a bad idea considering you're notions of it being a one player run. The other thing is the very first intro scene where you say it is not skippable so you are keeping it in. You have a video editor and thus the power to skip that unskippable scene! Get rid of all cutscenes, big or small. Again it will be strange because the game is littered with scripted sequences abound but get used to the format!

Your commentary is interesting but I expect bits and bytes for this LP since the presumption of a challenge run. I assume you have a greater skill when it comes to the game and its mechanics since playing as one hero could be pretty tricky I would imagine. That's what I want to see, the ins and outs of how your mind is processing what to do in order to succeed. Talking about the game in other senses is fine but don't go too deep into details if we are already skipping cutscenes and core story elements. Giving the girl a ticket for potions is a good example, I never knew that! (Although I only played FFX one time and it was like 12+ years ago.)

Small note: I never heard it pronounced Tee-dus and it just sounds wrong to me haha. I always have considered it to be Tie-dus.

Quote:

On the subject of random battles, since this is a tidus only run I want to show one instance of every battle type(if I get all of them) and I have two ways to handle this
1) show battles and explain them and skip repeats
2) do a montage as I enter each area
which do you think would be better?

1) hands down. I would say it is wise to show each unique enemy encounter at least once then skip the repeats. A streamlined FFX challenge run is something that is bearable to watch (Not that there is anything wrong with long-winded full-fledged LPs of it.) Of course your own discretion for interesting happenings in repeat battles. Like some crazy critical or near-game ending experience.

Your voice is overpowered a bit during those cutscenes but it's nothing too serious.

Keep it up, a great start!

I'll be continuing this feedback as I transition to part 2 :)

mitzybear
Member Avatar

Blattymeow, Thank you for the feedback.
Up until last week I had only ever used MS paint so I guess I was a little afraid of video editing but I will never learn if I don't try. I will see how I do editing out cutscenes in the next part I do, thank you for that advice. As for the tie-dus tee-dus thing, an I in japanese is pronounced with an E so it would be tee-dus which has been said in kingdom hearts. I'm probably going to go back to tie-dus just because that is what I'm used to.
I see what you mean on option 1 and I'll probably go with that choice.
Thank you for your feedback and for the time you spent watching my video.

athrun_talan,
The bunnies that made noise in the recording are shiv, JJ, and Mortisha. I decided to record audio and video seperate because it gives more more control over game-to-voice volumes, I can edit out things I say that I don't really want to keep without touching the video, and now I can edit out loud bunnies.

athrun_talan
Member Avatar
That's a good point, I hadn't thought about being to rerecord audio if you're not keen on it or need to tweak it.

One thing of note - you can hear the ingame dialogue in the background of part 3 just before you hear it in the game track, possibly due to watching it back? Might be worth a small tweak :-)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Let's Play Feedback · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find more great themes at the IFSZ