Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

News Box

Read the Rules!

General Forum Rules
Recent Updates

Welcome to the Let's Play Sanctuary!

Welcome to Lets Play Sanctuary. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing the forum as a guest. If you join the forum, you can be part of a friendly and welcoming community of Let's Players and meet new people. You will also be able to post around the forum, interact with other members and enjoy all the features of the forum that are available to you.

If you're joining our community for the first time, please be sure to look over the rules. They're there in place to help you learn how the forum works and give you tips on posting. Otherwise, feel free to get involved in the many discussions we have on the forum, and get to know your fellow Let's Players!

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Are the newer thumbnails better than the older ones?
Yes 3 (60%)
No 2 (40%)
Total Votes: 5
Are our thumbnails getting better?
Topic Started: Dec 18 2016, 03:44 AM (569 Views)
Game Jumpers

Is there any visual improvement in our thumbnails? I believe there is! Any feedback is appreciated!

This is a link to our channel uploads page, you may have to sort the videos by upload date to actually see the progression.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

PoofyGaming
Member Avatar

I don't really see any difference actually.. They all share the same background and the same font (with different colors each time). The only differences are the cutouts, but I would hardly call that progression.

Brendalf
Member Avatar

nooo nono. don't use that background. keep the layouts more consistent. if you still want to use transparent png's just try to lay out the font and images more clear and eye catching. here's an example of mine. I only changed my font colour to make it look better. I did graphic design so it helped me a lot with branding my channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/BrendalfTheGrey/videos

Game Jumpers

hmmm, after a few more videos/a little more content, most of our stuff will be more consistent with each other, Thank you for your feedback!

Brendalf
Member Avatar

no problem, just make them simple and easy to look at.

AriesDen84
Member Avatar

I honestly suggest using complementary opposites. For that Eye popping/catching effect. Example a Black background with Bright red/pink. While using an easy on the eyes reading front. But that's what I would do.

That's also what I do for apart of my day job for making retail store price signs.

Mycosa
Member Avatar

AriesDen makes some good point. The soft blue on your thumbnails gives it a very simple, but not very eye-catching look. There's nothing visually eye-catching about them, for all that they aren't of poor quality. I'm reminded of the old school Sega package art, actually. Unfortunately, those were also rather bland.

I actually like that you use a recognizable style for your text. What I'd do instead is try to give us something more eye-catching for the thumbnail itself. Just for some ideas, if you could take a screenshot of a given episode's video and blur it slightly, it would make a good background image.

I'd also recommend giving things a bit of uniformity to where the title is of the game is, as well as the general size.

Waltonsaurus
Member Avatar

They look pretty good. I would recommend adding a border/stroke to your text to make it stand out a little more, or maybe even a nice drop shadow. Otherwise I like how they all share a similar look, that's good brand recognition.

Mycosa's idea of a blurred screenshot is a good idea. You could combine it with the blue gradient you've applied and overlay it on the top? Just some food for thought. Keep it up though!

Space Cops
Member Avatar

I think I agree more or less with most of the others posting here. You're background is going to be the contrast for everything else you put on your thumbnail so it has to be well thought out. It looks like you guys are going for a movement through portals kind of thing so I'd suggest something along those lines. (Perhaps something like that neat water-ripple effect you see in Stargate with a border that looks like the gate itself. That'd be cool!) A noisy, nonsensical background with popping colors can be useful too because you can have a background that is too complicated to pay attention to (our new thumbnails do this by incorporating a space and nebulous clouds kinda motif). If you do something like that then make sure that the colors you are using a strong and likely to contrast with a variety of images so that your cutouts really stand out.

You're cutouts are pretty good (better than some of ours) and I like the speech bubbles thing for some reason. They can be used to convey thoughts on the video itself or to highlight humorous or interesting moments. It also looks like you guys are trying to put yourselves out there image-wise, if your banner art is any indication. If that is true, it might be a good idea to use some of that self-imagery in your thumbnails.

Deciding on a font for your channel is a good idea. The Space Cops channel features the Serpentine Bold Italic font (the same from the Lethal Weapon series, which inspires some of the imagery that we are designing) and we are currently designing a proprietary font specifically for FriendChise, our primary show.

The Space Cops are in a transitional phase as well with our branding and imagery as well so we understand the struggle. If you put some more thought into it you will find what fits your channel!

Good luck!

- Scott from the Space Cops
Edited by Space Cops, Jan 30 2017, 03:14 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Creativity Corner · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find more great themes at the IFSZ