Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

News Box

Read the Rules!

General Forum Rules
Recent Updates

ADVERTISING IS GONE.

Welcome to the Let's Play Sanctuary!

Welcome to Lets Play Sanctuary. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing the forum as a guest. If you join the forum, you can be part of a friendly and welcoming community of Let's Players and meet new people. You will also be able to post around the forum, interact with other members and enjoy all the features of the forum that are available to you.

If you're joining our community for the first time, please be sure to look over the rules. They're there in place to help you learn how the forum works and give you tips on posting. Otherwise, feel free to get involved in the many discussions we have on the forum, and get to know your fellow Let's Players!

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Has anyone ever deleted old videos out of shame?
Topic Started: Mar 29 2016, 10:25 AM (1,541 Views)
DoctorMadcow
Member Avatar
Trust me, I'm a Doctor.
I recently went back and deleted some of my older Let's Plays, because I didn't think my audio quality or commentary was good enough. I plan on re-doing them in the future, but enhancing them, because I'm a bit of a perfectionist. Has anyone else ever felt this way? I often get a longing desire to go back and trash my earlier works, or re-do them to keep up the quality. Or do you like to keep them around, to see how far you've come?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

FEZeldalord12345
Member Avatar

I like keeping my old work around to see how far I've come. I do cringe at my first Let's Play, mainly due to my lack of a good microphone, but I still like having it up. Besides, even if I did re-do it, the only thing that would really improve is my audio quality. I brought up all of the points I wanted to in that LP, so I don't think re-doing it is that worthwhile.

DoctorMadcow
Member Avatar
Trust me, I'm a Doctor.
That makes sense. I 'm just insane and couldn't sleep at night knowing that something inferior was out there. I see those as my "Practice LPs" now, the ones that you throw away before you figure out what you're doing. That's how I justify it, anyway.

CritiKylie
Member Avatar

I really don't blame you, I've had the thought cross my mind before, but I think it's better just to keep it so you can look back on the cringe years later. Kind of like a see how much you've improved since then!

FoxyFern
Member Avatar

I also want to keep things up to see how much I've improved. I've also noticed it's really fun to go into big channels(Markiplier, Jack Septic Eye, Northernlion) and see just how completely awful and awkward their first vids were. I think it's fun to see how THEY have improved, and it's encouraging to know that they haven't always been as great at it as they are today. Even for them it took dozens/hundreds of videos to get it down.

Bunderthuns
Bunderthuns
When I first started The audio was god-awful, the commentary was repetitive and very self-referencial (talking about my channel and it's future a lot) and the entire point of me posting them was to prove to myself I could post something even if it's not 100% to my liking and I felt it was imperfect and my plan was to keep them up forever as a way for me to look back and see that not everything can be amazing.

I did a real let's play and the quality was pretty good but content was lacking.

I started doing the types of videos I liked and felt I was good at and once I decided I had the confidence and mentality to start doing it for real and let nothing hold me back, I posted my first video. But I didn't want my original videos (which were nothing like the new one) to mess up anyone's conceptions about my channel so while I wanted to delete them, the source files were gone and I knew that would be that no more watching them ever again. So I did the next best thing and made them private. I figure this way I can always go back and rewatch them (which I do occassionally) and I always have them there so maybe one day if WHEN I'm bigger (gotta have that confidence :) ) I can do a special where I post them or do a compilation video to show people where I began. I didn't want them to give a bad notion of what my channel was but I didn't want to remove them because they were an important point for me to start and a huge landmark so I feel privating old things was my best route. I hope this helped!

JeffCharizardFlame
Member Avatar

I used to be like that too. When I joined here I had recently enacted a reboot to my channel (which I can safely say is the longest amount of time it's taken me to start over (around 6 months by this point)) and wanted to do better. I'm still using really bad hardware but mainly because I don't have any other alternative and no job to finance it. In a few days, I am going to be re-redoing the last LP I had started before I did the reboot and I'll say that I am impressed with how much I've improved as a Let's Player, both in commentary sessions and outside them. My advice is to remind yourself that nobody's perfect, and just try your hardest. If something goes wrong, use it as a learning experience and then try not to repeat the same mistake later on. I mean, Markiplier or Jacksepticeye didn't go from random schmup on the internet to internet celebrities in just a few days.

Eretequis
Member Avatar
Everyone is crazy but me.
I have looked back at my old videos before and thought about deleting them, but I've come to the conclusion that they are necessary. I want to be able to look back at them in future, to see where I've been and what I've done, how I've failed and where I succeeded. And I have failed a lot, from audio issues to recording interruptions to just the wrong people involved or cringe worthy commentary, I can also see exactly how many videos I've recorded, it's like a record of my journey and I don't want to lose it.
The only thing I've ever deleted on my channel is the stream announcements, 15-20 second videos saying 'Hello I'm playing [Insert game] over on twitch, come join me'. Yeah, I don't need those at all and they don't really show anything once the stream is over.

SeamsRock
Member Avatar
I don't know what this means.
I've only defeated videos that no longer had a purpose, such as updates to my channel that didn't pan out, and I've deleted any videos that turned out to give away personal information that I didn't really want to share. But other than that, I've kept every video I've ever posted, including my second-most watched video that I hate with a passion.

Connors Let's Play Channel

I've only deleted videos if I'm not happy with them. As many have already said, it's a good way of monitoring progress!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Let's Play & Live Stream Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Find more great themes at the IFSZ